Wednesday, June 22, 2005

Scratching backs

In the interest of payback, I'm posting a link to a new story by Jeff Sharlet. Jeff's given me a couple shout-out's over at the Revealer (which, sadly, isn't updating as often these days - a major loss), and I figure it's only fair. Although I highly doubt that I need to publicize for him!

http://harpers.org/SoldiersOfChrist.html

So here's something I've been working on this morning: is Esther a feminist book? I think maybe. It was always presented to me as otherwise, but reading between the lines I'm getting the idea that maybe in fact it's all about the (subversive) power of women. I'll post some more of my thoughts on this later. I'm sure I'm behind the curve on this one, but I always appreciate it when such a well-known story can still surprise me.

1 comment:

Catholic Girl said...

I always saw Esther as one of the Bible's sneakier feminist heroes. She took on a system that was stacked against her from the start on multiple levels and used it to kick ass. She's one of my favorites.