Sunday, May 22, 2005

The Christian Alliance for Progress

Hydeeho.

I just finished 5 hours of take home exam. Ugh, ugh, ugh. That was tiring. Suffice to say my paper on sacramental theology as experienced in Christian initiation rites (aka the paper about baptism) will not be completed today.

On a positive note, I can now identify most of the funny clothes priests wear, including the pointy hat.

And yes, when I got the word "mitre", I wrote "pointy hat". Sorry, after five hours, I was getting a little punchy.

But all this is to say that I have two things to share. The first is that I got an email from the aforementioned group (in the title), asking me to promote them because I am "already on the front lines." Wow, I'm such a celebrity.

Since flattery gets you everywhere, I'm doing my part and posting the link to their site up there. Also, here is a letter that they want people to sign. I have not yet signed it. I am not sure I agree with absolutely everything in it, and I need to mull it over. Also, here is a link to a flash movie they've made about evil Republicans. Well I'm all about that. But my dumb sound on the computer randomly goes out, so I have to wait and watch it later. Let me know how it is. Do these people seem like wackos to you?

The Jacksonville Declaration:
http://www.christianalliance.org/declaration
Flash Movie – Sneak Peek:
http://www.christianalliance.org/becountedflash

OK, I promised two things, and the other is a special treat for ya'll, my dear buddies. I'm going to post something I wrote for my class' chapel presentation. It's on Wednesday, so if you're a Fuller person, just come to chapel and see it (reading it doesn't have the same effect as hearing it read). It's about life in seminary...but I think you'll get that.

The Journey
Characters:
The Postulant
Voices 1, 2, & 3

1, 2, 3: Sir, we wish to see Jesus.

The Postulant: Here I am, Lord. Send me. The Lord God has given me the tongue of a teacher, that I may know how to sustain the weary with a word. May it be done to me according to your Word.

(very quickly, on top of one another)
1: Theology
2: Anthropology
3: Christology
2: Sotierology
3: Ecclesiology
1: Eschatology
The Postulant: Credo
3: Spiritual Formation
1: Spiritual Disciplines
2: Spiritual Journey
3: Spirituality
The Postulant: Pursuit of wholeness
2: Community
3: Small groups
1: Servant leadership
2: Seeker sensitive
3: Authentic
1: Emergent
The Postulant: Praxis
2: Engaging culture
1: Exegeting culture
3: Electronic culture
1: Wired world
3: Post-Modern
2: Post-Evangelical
1: Post-Denominational
The Postulant: Spectacle
2: Consumerism
1: Theo-capitalism
3: Globalization
2: Imperialism
1: God’s politics
The Postulant: Justice
1: Missiology
3: Diversity
2: Sensitivity
3: Tolerance
1: Pluralism
The Postulant: Ecumenical
1: Youth
2: Marriage
3: Family
2: At-risk
1: Reconciliation
2: Healing
3: Recovery
The Postulant: Liberation
3: Patriarchy
2: Feminism
1: Maturity
2: Integration
3: Transformation
1, 2, 3: Discipleship.

The Postulant:
I have devoted my energies to the study of the scriptures,
Study, teaching, and writing have always been my delight.
I have acquired great wisdom, surpassing all who were before me;
And my mind has had great experience of wisdom and knowledge.

1: Where were you when I laid the foundation of the earth?

3: Who determined its measurements – surely you know!

2: Are you able to drink the cup that I drink,
Or be baptized with the baptism that I am baptized with?

1, 2, 3: Do you love me? Do you love me? Do you love me?

The Postulant:
I am of small account; how shall I answer you?
I lay my hand on my mouth.
I applied my mind to seek and to search out by wisdom all that is done under heaven;
I perceive that this is but a chasing after the wind.
For in much wisdom is much vexation
And those who increase knowledge increase sorrow.
What must we do to do the works God requires?

2: The work of God is this: to believe in the one he has sent.

1: These people draw near with their mouths
And honor God with their lips
While their hearts are far from him
I hate, I despise your festivals,
I take no delight in your solemn assemblies
Take away from me the noise of your songs!

3: But let justice roll down like waters,
And righteousness like an ever-flowing stream.

2: He has told you, O mortal, what is good;
And what does the Lord require of you
But to do justice,
and to love kindness,
and to walk humbly with your God.

The Postulant:
Those who love their life lose it
Those who hate their life in this world
Will keep it for eternal life

2: Come unto me, all you who are heavy-laden, and I will give you rest.
God has hidden these things from the wise and the intelligent and has revealed them to infants;
Do not occupy yourself with great matters,
Or with things that are too hard for you.

3: Too much learning is driving you insane!

The Postulant:
May God grant me to speak with judgment, and to have thoughts worthy of what I have received; for he is the guide even of wisdom and the corrector of the wise. For both we and our words are in his hand, as are all understanding and skill. For it is he who gave me unerring knowledge of what exists, I learned both what is secret and what is manifest, for wisdom, the fashioner of all things, taught me. There is in her a spirit that is intelligent, holy, unique, manifold, subtle, mobile, clear, unpolluted, distinct, invulnerable, loving the good, keen, irresistible.

1: If you continue in my word, you are truly my disciples;
And you will know the truth,
And the truth will make you free.

3: Be transformed by the renewing of your mind
A man is a slave to whatever controls him
Let the same mind be in you that was in Christ Jesus.

2: As the Father has loved me, so have I loved you;
Abide in my love.

The Postulant:
The seed must die to bear much fruit.
Now this is eternal life…

3: (not merely a life that is eternal in duration, but primarily something different from the natural life of man)

The Postulant: …that they may know you, the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom you have sent.

2: (know not just information or facts, but know from experiencing someone in relationship)

1: Whoever serves me must follow me, and where I am, there will my servant be also.
Whoever serves me, the Father will honor.

The Postulant:
If we live, we live to the Lord
And if we die, we die to the Lord
So then, whether we live
Or whether we die
We are the Lord’s.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful reading; I'm very sorry I can't be there when it is enacted. Is it copyrighted and, if so, will it be available for church group use?
johniebwood@sbcglobal.net